Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Paradox and Irony

From what I can gather, I am supposed to start this blasted thing with a post about this being my first post. Well, here it is. This is my first blog entry, though I have posted elsewhere. I am officially in the blog-community since I now have my own site. I decided to begin this now, as I am also beginning a new chapter in my life, and hopefully I can make sense of it all... or at least be able to have a record of it. We just left the Outer Banks (North Carolina) to pursue opportunities in Gulfport, MS. We (being my wife and I) were in OBX to plant an "innovative, postmodern church" with some friends of ours. Without going into too much detail, it didn't work out as we had anticipated. In a nutshell, after sharing some "out there" ideas, I was told that I couldn't find a church anywhere that did it that way, which I thought was the point of "innovative," so my 'dictator-implying' ideas were shut down faster than Virginia Tech's offense last Saturday night. So, it turned out I was wrong about the meaning of innovative. Apparently, it means doing the same things while wearing jeans and cool glasses. Once we were presented with the option of going to Miss. to join some friends in the roofing business, the decision to go wasn't very difficult. This is not to imply the 'wrongness' of anyone, simply that their vision and our vision of the church were not the same. Anyway, thats where I'm at... as close to being 'out' of the ministry as I have ever been and as sure that I am hearing God's voice as ever. How's that for paradox and irony?

8 comments:

ndfugate said...

not very. just took you long enough to get here. now sit back and enjoy life.

glad you got your own blog.

Peter Zefo said...

I'm enjoying your M.Div thesis. Sorry things didn't work the way you thought (hoped) in NC. I will resist any temptation of doing something very modern like posting Bible verses to look up to encourage you like Rom. 8:28, Jer. 29:11, Phil. 1:6, etc. Oops, I did it anyway! Let's keep in touch!

m.d. mcmullin said...

Congratulations (I'm never sure what to say in awkward situations - you should see me at a funeral)

Sorry about the Carolina thing. Mississippi Coast is ripe for ministry. I know you aren't going there for that reason but....

What kind of roofing business is it? Do you need any help? (I'm kind of kidding)

Are you moving to Lower Mississippi?

Brandon Anderson said...

Well... you know everything happens for a reason. ;)

You shouldn't have been trying to start one of those dang-blamed newfangled churches anyway.

Brandon Anderson said...

Well... you know everything happens for a reason. ;)

You shouldn't have been trying to start one of those dang-blamed newfangled churches anyway.

ndfugate said...

and you mr. anderson should only post your comments once

Robb said...

Hey Josh. I am glad to hear you getting out and on with things. Godspeed.

Pete, where did you get his thesis- I thought it hadn't made it to the library yet?

Peter Zefo said...

I cannot share that information. It would get Matt Holmes/Cheryl Johns in trouble for copying it for me.