Saturday, November 12, 2005

Roofing Business

Gulfport, MS, is an interesting town. I had the opportunity to visit the coast the other day, and I was extremely overwhelmed. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. It looks like somebody dropped a bomb on the place. Literally, nothing is standing for about a quarter to half mile inland. It is all just ruble and foundations. I had seen the coverage on the news channels, but it just doesn't convey the level of destruction that has taken place.

I found out yesterday that the average roofer is a high school dropout, which was encouraging as I know nothing at all about roofing. I am learning quickly, so I should have it all down in a week. Seriously, it isn't that hard. It comes down mainly to being able to sale someone on the company and its product. This week has been pretty slow, which I am told is not normal. We are doing soem major advertising starting next week, so they expect things to pick up quiet a bit and get real crazy. I'm looking forward to it.... the crazier it gets means the more money that will make it to my wallet!

I'm also glad to hear that some of you are enjoying my thesis. It is not in the library, yet, as I need to correct some spacing errors which were actually Staples error. I told them to use the pdf file, but apparently they printed off from the Word file, so they spacing got all screwed up. I still agree, mostly, with what I put in there; however, as I have continued reading emergent material, I have come across some things that challenge my critiques, which is encouraging. I have my own issues now with church and how it is structured, which I may share on here on another post sometime. Life in the Gulf Coast is hectic and I don't know when I can get to internet access. We are living in a single-wide trailer with another family and a single female who is getting married in December. Privacy and convenience is not always abundant. We just started thinking about possibly finding a small, one bedroom apartment to rent while we are here. We'll see how that goes.

3 comments:

Brandon Anderson said...

You're probably the best roofing seller that I know of.

Anonymous said...

the ugliest that i know of

joel w. clackum said...

From surfer outreach to mississippi roofing... you guys are clearly rennaissance...