Friday, December 16, 2005

Roofing Business Update

Things are going well with the roofing business in Gulfport. Actually, we are considering expanding and moving into New Orleans, which means alot more business. I've made my first few sales and I actually have jobs that are finished. They look good and the homeowners are really satisfied with the work that we've done. Its a completely different kind of ministry altogether. We keep our prices at fair market value and we offer to handle the insurance claim for our customers. Essentially, all they have to do is sign and we take care of the rest. I can't tell you how many homeowners have thanked us for making this hassle-free, especially after the storm. I wanted to share how this business, especially the side associated with home life, actually functions. It was recommended in a recent comment that the profits that I see in the roofing business should be opened to my community as we share all things in common. Well, to be honest, that is what happens. Hope and I currently live in an environment with 7 other people. We all buy and cook food, do our part in cleaning, and basically live life together. When you start working as an estimator, it takes a few weeks until you start seeing money flow into your wallet. It was tough and there were times that I didn't know how we would eat. Yet, it wasn't a big deal. Those in the house who have share with those don't. We all eat around 7:00 or 7:30... one large meal together. Different people cook and clean, usually. It is understood that when you can buy food, you will. If you can't, don't ask to eat my food because you already know that you don't need to ask. So... it does work. However, there are situations where it doesn't. It doesn't work when someone tries to abuse the fellowship. We had a situation where an 8th tried to abuse the community. He left... on his own. Anyway, thats about it. Hopefully the business will continue to blossom and I will get more leads and contacts, especially as we make the move into New Orleans. I've heard that it can be really dangerous there, especially if you are there after dark.

No comments: