Tuesday, January 23, 2007

After lunch

Walking in after lunch, i thought i would take a couple of pictures of the outside of the old mall. Thats the YMCA on the left and Playworld on the right. In the middle is one of their main entrances. I'll take a picture of another main entrance this morning, and perhaps share it... or maybe i won't. Anyway, went to the Q&A session, and found out something that totally blew my mind. I knew that Mars had hired Don Golden to be their Lead Pastor, but I thought that was their different name for Executive Pastor (handling the business side) because RB still does most all of the teaching. Well, found out in the Q&A that DG really is the "Lead Pastor". He oversees all the ministry, casts vision, makes decisions. RB submits to his leadership. Now... when is the last time you heard of a preacher who, after drawing a big crowd of people, who say... "hey, i'm not real good at this leadership thing, thats not where God has gifted me, what if we brought in somebody to be the Lead Pastor, I would submit to their leadership, continue teaching/preaching because thats what God has gifted me to do... could that work?" Very interesting.
The student session went well. Nothing to dramatic to report. I'm just really amazed at the complete and total level of honesty that you see here. Maybe I'll include a little story in a comment.

The night service (session) was awesome. (sorry for the blurryness of the picture) RB talked about the arts of teaching, preaching and creativity. Again, awesome. I really think RB might be one of the best I've ever heard. If you've read Hope's blog then you know about the cool factor of the music. For me, the cool part was the risk factor. They said, "what if we took some old hyms and sang them over some funk music...? okay, try it." When talking about taking risks, RB said, "We have nothing to fear, because the tomb is empty" (at which point we all shouted with joy... really, not a "pentecostal whoop" but a "yeah...! all right...! whoo hoo...!). After the night session, they had a concert by "The Vigilantes" (they are an indie band who attend Mars Hill... RB gave them a big bowl as a tip jar to raise money to buy them a new van.). Hope and I would have stayed but it was getting late for Lex and 24 was coming on.

4 comments:

Hope Butcher said...

I just wish our churches would stop being afraid. Having the overseer dissapointed can't be nearly as bad as dissapointing Jesus.

Brandon Anderson said...

I'll bet the overseer would be dissapointed that you left to go watch 24. Sinner.

Anonymous said...

Josh, good to see you back in BlogLand! There is an 80% chance that you will have your spot back in Fantasy Football if you want it. It looks like two owners may be axed.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.