Sunday, January 21, 2007

sunday night's gathering

So I went to Mars Hill tonight. It was... really good. Not exactly what you might think a +10,000 person church might look like. First, just finding the place is a feat. I read in Velvet Elvis that when they were planting the church, RB wouldn't let them put out a sign to show people where they were located. They still don't have any signs out. I googled their address to get directions, and knew they met in an old shopping mall. I was looking for some sort of sign when I got on the road, but alas there were none. (and I hope this sounds how I want it to...) To find it... I just followed all the other cars. A bunch were turning into this parking lot, so I turned. The only signs were for a YMCA and Playhouse. I parked and noticed A LOT of people walking toward this door, so I followed them and finally saw the name Mars Hill Church on the glass door. I continued following everybody till I found a seat. Worship was a mix of music and scripture reading. I found it deeply moving, almost to the point of tears. Right after the music, RB got up and started the teaching. No frills, no hype. Just raw, straight-to-the-point stuff. The sermon was part teaching, part interview of a Mars member. Media was extremely minimal. The music and sermon were both projected on screens, but just a black background with white words. The songs were either old hymns or home-written. The band had a certain Coldplay feel, as it was very piano-driven with that soaring guitar adding to the sound. It all felt very honest. Maybe thats just me reading into it because of my own preferences. Well... its late and I have an early morning. This is the schedule for the conference. I'll try to blog as much as I can. I'm going to try to find a recorder of some sorts so I can record the sessions. We'll see how that goes.

3 comments:

ndfugate said...

so did you get the mic for the ipod so that you'll have an audio copy??

Josh Butcher said...

i am going to try to get one tonight for my iBook, just to have something. I bought one at the Apple Store in Knoxville that the lady told me would work on my iPod... she didn't know what she was talking about.

ndfugate said...

they never do